Landscape

Landscape

Saturday, November 29, 2014

What to do with those leftovers?!

With a refrigerator full of leftovers, I am always looking for some creative ways to change what we have into something a little more, let's say, interesting. I'm all about simple, and I know it tastes best when using high quality, organic ingredients. Since we had organic sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving, and our 1 year old daughter and I are the only ones who eat them in this house, I thought I'd post a simple, yet delicious looking recipe to help me "re-purpose" the leftovers that no one else seems to want to touch. Maybe I can talk my husband into just trying a tiny little bite?

Mashed Sweets from Greene on Greens by Burt Green, Workman Publishing Company, Inc, 1984
4 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
2 tablespoons bourbon
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Cook the potatoes in their jackets in boiling salted water until tender, 45-50 minutes. Drain.
2. Carefully peel the potatoes and place them in a medium saucepan. Mash, over very low heat, with a potato masher until smooth. Beat in the butter, cream, bourbon, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until warmed through. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment